This contract is between a parent or guardian and their child to help set boundaries to create a safer online experience. By signing this contract, your child agrees to the rules in this contract and should be followed by the child when online. Online areas include chartrooms, instant messaging, email, contests or sweepstakes, blogs and social network worlds, and when registering for any newsletters or online clubs.
Parents, before you get started, read and discuss the following with your child to make sure they understand the basics of online behavior:
Family Internet Safety Rules and Usage Contract
- Nothing on the internet is private.
- People online are not always who they say they are.
- People are not always truthful online.
- Inappropriate behavior, like bullying others, is not allowed.
To download a copy of the Family Internet Safety Rules and Usage Contract, please click here (PDF 20KB).
I ___________________________ agree on this date __/__/____ to:
- Never give any person or any website on the Internet my name, address, telephone number, password, my parents' names, my school name, a club or team I'm involved with without my parents' permission.
- Never fill out questionnaires or any forms online without my parents' permission.
- Never tell anyone online where I will be or what I will be doing in the online or real world without my parents' permission.
- Never enter a chat room or post personal information online without my parents' permission.
- Never meet in person anyone that I've met online unless my parent has agreed and will go with me to meet with them in a public place.
- Only use instant messaging with people on my buddy list that my parents have approved.
- Treat others online as I would have them treat me. I will never send out mean or threatening messages nor will I respond to any such messages that are sent to me.
- Never open or accept emails, enclosures, links, URL's or other information from people I do not know.
- Report any email, chat room conversations, instant messages or websites that make me feel uncomfortable to my parent or a trusted adult. If I do see something inappropriate, I will log off or turn off my computer and then report the problem.
- Never agree to any go into a new online area that is going to cost additional money without first getting Mom and/or Dad's permission.
- Never buy or order products online or give out any credit card or cell phone information online without my parents' permission.
- Understand that private family matters should not be discussed online.
- Understand that my parents may supervise my time online and may use a filtering service.
- Never go online at a friend's house without my parent's permission.
- Understand that Internet use is a privilege, not a right. I will follow my family's Internet safety contract in my home and when I am online outside of my own home.
Child's Signature ________________________
Parent's Signature _______________________
I ____________________________ agree on this date __/__/____ to:
Parent's Signature ________________________
- Get to know the services and Web sites my child uses. If I don't know how to use them, I'll get my child to show me how.
- Set reasonable rules and guidelines for computer use by my children and discuss these rules and post them near the computer as a reminder.
- Not overreact if my child tells me about a problem he or she is having on the Internet. Instead, we'll work through it together to try to solve the problem and prevent it from happening again.
- Not use a computer or the Internet as an electronic babysitter.
- Try to get to know my child's "online friends" just as I try get to know his or her friends in the real world.
Child’s Signature _______________________